Hello all, I currently have a very well specced late 2000 996, and am considering selling it to buy a 2002/3 996 C4S. My question is, if I were to sell mine now, I'd probably get about £28k for it and would have to put another £10k ontop to buy a C4S. BUT, if I waited another year, how much more would my car depreciate in relation to the C4S? I mean would mine depreciate proportionately less in the next year compared to the C4S? Would I be better off waiting another year? I'm thinking that my car has 47.5k miles and is under warranty so I could easily keep it, but I am getting the urge. Also might my car be more difficult to sell in a year as its a year older and poss 50K miles? Any feedback is welcome.
Discussion summary
YOUR RESEARCHUpgrade Buying Advice Please
1 matching discussions were examined; no attributable action/outcome evidence was detected. No consensus or repair conclusion is claimed.
Source reports, not a diagnosis or a success probability. Counts refer to discussions and can overlap.
Read captured repliesInsufficient extracted evidence does not mean there is no answer in the original discussions.
1 matching discussions · 6 captured posts examined · 0 partial discussions
Coverage and how to read this overview
Counts describe captured discussions, not unique people or a diagnosis. Author identities are not reliably stored. Exact duplicate evidence is counted once across matching discussions; one discussion counts at most once per action/state. Multiple repairs reported together remain a combination. Suggestions and failed attempts do not establish a fix. Matches cover whole discussions and can include related faults, model variants and incomplete threads.
6 eligible posts · 0 unverified posts · 1 discussions match the subject in their title or opening post.
- Porsche Club GB: 1 discussions
0 evidence records excluded for query context · 0 excluded by outcome qualification · 0 adjusted by outcome qualification.
0 acknowledgements have no verified action link; they do not establish a repair result.
Generation: 20261026T135432Z · outcome-qualification-6. Deterministic extraction; no AI model inference. How we use sources
How about saving up a tiny bit more for a turbo instead?
C'mon Rod - You are going to push Turbo prices through the roof if you go on at this rate!! [ ] [ ] Hasan - the longer you wait, the smaller the difference in values will be. Your car should be very saleable in a year's time with 50k on the clock. That's low mileage, and the price will be affordable to a wider market.
Well yes indeed, although the running costs will be alot higher, that is an option...when I start looking, I'll consider both Rodney. But, my dilemna is do I try and sell mine now or wait another year whilst the model/s I'm interested in depreciate further (Well more than mine in the next year)....resulting in needing less money to fund a new eventual purchase?! Hi Richard...thanks for that...I read your post afterwards...your view is certainly shared by my father....
Sorry Rich, you know I just can't help myself![ ] Hasan, obviously as a general rule a newer car will depreciate more than an older car (unless the newer car is rarer or special ie GT3/RS ). However, the C4s seems to have a bit of a cult following which is keeping it's prices relatively bouyant (it trades at a narrow spread to the turbo compared to the performance difference). Even then, I suspect with 997 prices already touching the £40k mark (for high mileage, and mid £40s for above average mileage), this will put more downward pressure on the C4s than your car. It's a difficult call, but the spread between the depreciation of these cars over a year,IMO, isn't going to be more than 2k But, if by then, your car would run out of it's warranty and pass the 50k mark, the difference may be even less.
Rodney, you make a very valid point on the newer models putting downward pressure on the models directly below/older. I've just seen a few 997's on Pistonheads for around £47k!, which is a surprise. All this does suggest to me keeping mine for another year..(I have the Porsche extended warranty by the way, which I would just renew)
This is a source reference. Confirm exact model applicability in the original material.
